Here are answers to some common questions we receive.
- Which products are non-dairy?
- Which products are vegan?
- Are any products sugar-free?
- How “organic” are Country Choice products?
- What does certified organic mean?
- Who is the certifying agency?
- Which products are kosher?
- Are there Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO’S) in any of the products?
- What is organic sugar?
- What about the soluble fiber in oats?
- How much oatmeal is required to be “heart healthy”?
- What are oven-toasted oats?
- Are your products gluten free?
- How do you process oats to ensure they remain GF?
- Can Steel Cut Oats be used in recipes requiring Quick or Old Fashioned Oats?
- WHICH PRODUCTS ARE NON-DAIRY?
Oatmeal – Instant, Old Fashioned, Quick, Steel Cut, Quick Cook Steel Cut and Multi-grain Hot Cereal. Sandwich Cookies – Vanilla, Chocolate, Duplex and Ginger Lemon. Note: all are processed on shared equipment with dairy.
- WHICH PRODUCTS ARE VEGAN?
Oatmeal – Instant, Old Fashioned, Quick, Steel Cut and Quick Cook Steel Cut. Sandwich Cookies – Vanilla, Chocolate, Duplex and Ginger Lemon. Note: Cookies are processed on shared equipment with dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts and tree nuts.
- ARE ANY PRODUCTS SUGAR-FREE?
No. However, the sweeteners we use are not refined. They include: organic sugar, honey, molasses and rice syrup solids.
- HOW “ORGANIC” ARE COUNTRY CHOICE PRODUCTS?
All of Country Choice products are certified organic which requires that at least 95% of the ingredients are certified organic. All of the ingredients adhere to strict requirements for organic products.
- WHAT DOES CERTIFIED ORGANIC MEAN?
It means that a third party (OTCO) has verified the organic claim for the product. This includes the ingredients and the way in which they are processed.
- WHO IS THE CERTIFYING AGENCY?
Oregon Tilth Certified Organic (OTCO). Organic Certification
- WHICH PRODUCTS ARE KOSHER?
All Country Choice products are certified kosher by the Orthodox Union (OU). Kosher Certification Kosher Certification 2
- ARE THERE GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS (GMO’S) IN ANY OF THE PRODUCTS?
To the best of our knowledge there are no GMOs in any of our products.
- WHAT IS ORGANIC SUGAR?
Also know as “evaporated organic cane juice”, it is the unrefined sweetener produced through the process of pressing organic sugar cane (grown under strict organic guidelines). The cane juice is then crystallized into a sweetener without chemicals, resulting in a sweetener that is better for the environment than refined sugar.
- WHAT ABOUT THE SOLUBLE FIBER IN OATS?
Oats are one of nature’s health foods. In fact, the FDA has determined that soluble fiber from oatmeal as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease. The soluble fiber – beta glucan – is believed to function in the digestion tract by reducing the absorption of dietary cholesterol into the bloodstream.
- HOW MUCH OATMEAL IS REQUIRED TO BE “HEART HEALTHY”?
The FDA has established that 3 grams of beta glucan per day is the amount required for an effect upon cholesterol levels. Combined with a diet low in fat and cholesterol, the following products contain the daily recommended level of beta glucan:
A good sized bowl of Country Choice Organic Oatmeal (1 1/2 cups cooked or 3/4 cup dry)
3 pouches of Country Choice Organic Instant Oatmeal
- WHAT ARE OVEN-TOSTED OATS?
Oven toasting is the heat processing of the oats which results in the characteristic flavor of Country Choice Organic oats.
- ARE YOUR PRODUCTS GLUTEN FREE?
Only products labeled Gluten Free are verified as containing less than 20ppm gluten. While oats do not contain gluten, our regular products are not considered gluten free due to the possibility of cross contact with gluten containing grains.
- HOW DO YOU PROCESS OATS TO ENSURE THEY REMAIN GF? While the process is proprietary, it is a comprehensive cleaning program. It starts with the facility being an origin mill – for oats only – and includes strict incoming specifications and extensive testing. We then further cut the oat stream to remove any gluten containing grains. This “super cleaning” process is statistically shown to be cleaner than IP oats grown on dedicated land.
- CAN STEEL CUT OATS BE USED IN RECIPES REQUIRING QUICK OR OLD FASHIONED OATS?
We do not recommend using Steel Cut Oats in place of Quick or Old Fashioned Oats in recipes. Bake times typically are not long enough for oat pieces to soften.